Wednesday, September 8, 2004

God's Vote

My cousin and I are both long-time conservatives. We get together once in a while to discuss politics. Our discussions are pithy and to the point. He starts and ends it by stating: "I'm voting for President Bush because that's who I think the Prophet would vote for."
Gee, I ponder, aside from the fact that the prophet is as likely to open up a gambling hall in the Holy of Holies as he is to reveal this, how do you argue with such sound reasoning? Well, here it is, cousin.


D&C 101:77 states that, "the laws and constitution of the people, which [God has] suffered to be established, . . . should be maintained for the rights and protection of all flesh." That's right, cuz- all flesh, as in everyone on the face of the earth, not just you and me.

The current President and his administration do not believe this edict of God. They argued before the Supreme Court [and thankfully lost] that the constitution is not maintained, nor does it protect all flesh--only US citizens it declares worthy--everyone else can rot as long as the executive branch deems it necessary for national security. This notion and the message it sends has resulted in many horrendous errors in prosecuting the war in Iraq.

Therefore, dear cousin, while you may think you have a pretty important person directing your vote, I, after diligent and thoughtful study, believe I've got God directing mine.

Loren M. Lambert
© September 8, 2004

No comments: