Monday, April 1, 2019

Pear and Peaches – Making the Neighborhood Safe for Speeding

I'm coming on the last of the pears. I used to be not such a big fan of pears, but they do have this ephemeral moment of perfect ripeness: beautiful, light green to yellow skin with a bit of blush, and crisp, sweet, juicy, white flesh that gives this subtle refreshing flavor. The time to enjoy this perfection spans probably 46:12:32 hours – depending on when they are picked and where they are stored.

That, notwithstanding, the best is to come: Peaches! I am going to be eating, drinking, and wearing peaches. In fact, I ate the first one off my tree, today. They're coming early this year.

I love peaches! I turn them into nectar, juice, messes, and sometimes, I smear them on my chest, face, and head, then I put on burlap trousers and run like a maniac through the neighborhood, babbling incoherently. This makes the neighborhood safe for speeding, because everyone keeps their kids locked inside for a couple of months. You can't do that with pears – they don't stick.

I love peaches!

Loren M. Lambert © September 8, 2013

No comments: