Monday, April 1, 2019

Yoga Breathing in Water

To sleep (at times when my mind would rather keep me awake), I let my body take over by inhaling slowly for seven seconds, holding for four to five seconds, exhaling slowly for seven seconds, holding empty lungs for four to five seconds, then repeat. Soon, the mind is focused and I drift off.

I tried to breath like this underwater (except, of course, for the inhale). Try it. I know I am interested by the meaningless, but I was puzzled to learn I couldn't seem to get all the air out and hold it before needing to inhale, even though I was taking the same amount of time. It seemed to add an element of greater difficulty and panic.

I know it means something – some automatic subconscious reaction, something to do with the water pressure – but I still thought I should have been able to do just like out of water (except, of course, for the inhale).

Loren M. Lambert © August 13, 2013

No comments: