Saturday, July 6, 2019

New Fruit

Over the holidays, I instructed my family not to buy candy, and for the first time, I didn't buy any for anyone. Sorry.

I did buy fruit. Not just any fruit, but some new fruit I hadn't tried before: Dragon Fruit. Dragon Fruit gives a very beautiful and interesting flavor – kind of sweet and slightly spicy, with a mellow, earthy flavor. Its texture is like a firm pudding, and it has white flesh with black specs (almost looked like vanilla bean). 

I also enjoyed the following fruits: persimmons (like a firm melon with orange flesh and a mild sweet flavor, like a blend between a sweet potato and cantaloupe); thorn or spiky melon (orange thorny exterior, green juicy pulp and seeds interior, with a taste of tangy cucumber); red Asian pears, Japanese pears, red bananas, and finger bananas. Then, we had all the usual traditional fruit: mangoes, papayas, oranges, apples, pineapple, raspberries, blueberries, etc. – all very good!  I had to freeze some for smoothies.

In short, it was a fruity Christmas. I highly recommend celebrating life by enjoying the abundance that we have and thereby encouraging a great industry.

Loren M. Lambert © January 2, 2014

No comments: