Friday, February 21, 2014

New Fruit

Over the holidays, I instructed my family not to buy candy and for the first time I didn't buy any for anyone. Sorry.

I did buy fruit--not just any fruit--some new fruit I hadn't tried before--Dragon Fruit (very beautiful and interesting flavor, kind of sweet, slightly spicy and a mellow earthy flavor, texture like a firm pudding, white flesh with black specs almost looked like vanilla bean), persimmons (like a firm melon with orange flesh with a mild sweet flavor like a blend between a sweet potato and cantaloupe), thorn or spiky melon (Orange thorny exterior, green juicy pulp and seeds interior with taste of tangy cucumber), red asian pears, Japanese pears, red bananas, finger bananas and then we had all the usual suspects--mangoes, papayas, oranges, apples, pineapple, raspberries, blueberries etc--all very good--had to freeze some for smoothies.

In short it was a fruity Christmas but I highly recommend celebrating life by enjoying the abundance that we have and thereby encouraging a great industry.

Loren M. Lambert © January 2, 2014

No comments: