Thursday, June 27, 2019

Not Joining the Union, but No Longer Willing To Be Disregarded

My fellow thespians, actors, and extras: Although I have not sworn off all free projects yet, I have determined that I'm very tired of working on projects in which commitments are not kept and I am not just unappreciated, but I am disregarded. Many directors and producers feel that our time on set is meaningless and we should merely be grateful for being able to just be in their shadow. Some of you, who are my good friends, have acted this way and I hold no ill will toward you. I have always found something positive on every set I've been on, but you really need to take a close look at your commitments. If you realize you can't finish what you started, or can’t comply with promises you made, talk to the people to whom you made promises, explain why you could not keep your commitments, and at the very least, apologize.

To those of you who, like me, enjoy working on a few free projects as a satisfying hobby, I urge you to do what I am going to do from now on, and that is to insist on the following agreement with those who want my participation. We need to let people know they need to be responsible, because if some of them break into the “big time,” they will think they don’t have to change and will continue to break more commitments.

Here's what you should present to them:

I’m excited to be a part of this project. I know that there is no pay, and I will agree to that. 

However, over the past couple years, I have done a considerable amount of work on many projects for no pay, and these films were never completed. Even worse, I never received any copy from them for my work. On a couple films, I was even promised pay, but was not paid – despite many promises that were given me.

Here is my reality:  I am tired of working on projects that are never finished, and that I never get anything promised from them. I cannot keep working on projects that are not completed and do not provide me anything for my hard work. I have thereby learned I have to make sure that my time is respected.

I have also participated in projects that had the potential for pay or film festival awards.
Based thereon, would you agree to the following:

a. If the project is not completed: 

You will provide me copies of whatever footage is available that I was in.  You will also reimburse me for my work, either by  (1) donating (you or one of your other production members) an amount of time (equal to the time I spend on your set) on one of my projects, or (2) paying me the ultra-low-budget SAG minimum. 

b. If the project is completed: 
          
You will provide me a copy of the finished product. If it makes any profit, or receives any monetary awards, you will pay me an amount proportional to my contribution to the project when compared to others, but in no event, more than the ultra-low-budget SAG minimum.”

Loren M. Lambert © November 20, 2013

No comments: