Thursday, June 27, 2019

The Princess Phenomenon

I'm not exactly a mainstream guy, nor a backwater dude, nor even a whirlpool maven. I’m more like a “just-out-of-the-main-current” man (unless in a downwater kayak race, then I am right on it!). Some people may think that I always look for the lead-lining in the silver cloud, but something has always struck me as not completely positive about the fixation we have on telling our daughters they're princesses.

Is that a completely positive thing?  I know we need to treat the women in our lives well – but like princesses? Don't princesses ask for John the Baptist's head, become queens who want to ax poor Alice and the Madhatter, and get drinks – like Bloody Mary –  named after them?

I think I have treated my daughter with respect and honor, but not as a princess.  I hope I didn't ruin her because she won't recognize the "prince" when he comes to sweep her off her feet.

Loren M. Lambert © November 21, 2013

No comments: