Friday, September 28, 2018

Let’s “Go Desert!” Reject Laborious Lawns!

Here I am. 

I can't sleep. 

I’ve no where to go, and I’m waiting for all the hustle and bustle to start on my short. So much anticipation now, so much sleepy-headedness tomorrow.

In my Utah Master Naturalist class, we are learning which important Utah resources need preservation. The more I learn, the more depressed I get about what we will all be missing as the years go by, because it all seems a little pointless without talking about the big bugaboo: population growth and the evil of green lawns.

Seriously, we need to all enter a pact to “go desert,” so we won't feel the urge to compete. If everyone has a yard full of weeds, then no one gets hurt. Right? Then again, with a yard full of weeds, and more time on our hands – boom! The birthrate will skyrocket and we'll be back where we started.

Did you all know, several studies have shown that people who have nice, green, well-manicured lawns have sex about 30 percent less than their neighbors who have weedy, out-of-control, patchy lawns?

Loren M. Lambert © May 23, 2008

No comments: