Saturday, December 22, 2018

The New Religion

Gmail, Facebook, and the Internet – with all their possibilities and potential (along with my plastic Jesus (or a saint) figurine mounted on my computer monitor [for extra “oomph!”]) – are my Sutter's-Mill moment, my lucky lottery ticket, my little piece of pie of providence, my golden ticket to better things, the gods to whom I look to bring me some miraculous wonder, some unknowable surprise, some state of bliss that cannot be achieved except by paying obedience to social media’s higher laws of connection, saturation, attention, and abject servitude to its every whim.

So I come, assiduously, day in and day out, looking and hoping for that which must inevitably come, because I am a true believer.

Come, here I am, ready to be whatever you require. But please don't keep me waiting too long, or I just might have to change my religion.

Loren M. Lambert © May 5, 2013

No comments: