Friday, December 21, 2018

The Heave Ho

I got booted off a “Facebook friend island” by a very talented, beautiful, gorgeous, vocal acquaintance. I admittedly offended her sensibilities by using “damn,” “hell,” and “condom” all in the same sentence to make an ironic, sarcastic remark about liberals. I thought someone like her would think what I wrote was well-stated, but she, being more polite, probably thought it best for others like Ann Coulter to say. This is probably not the first time getting booted has happened to me, but it was the first time I was told about it. I feel bad because, truth be told, I like hearing divergent views, and I don't like offending others – usually – at least not when I didn't intend to offend. Even then, I mostly regret it.

I knew it was over the top for that particular person and I almost resisted, but then I elevated my need to rant over what I knew was in good taste for her. I figured my crudity as befitting her offensiveness – to me. I forgot that the reality is most people post stuff to be confirmed in their positions, not confronted. So, what did I accomplish? Nothing.

However (and you knew there would be a “however”), while some people would use nary a “damn” nor a “hell,” they don't realize that these are just short cuts to the same things they say that are just as jarring and rude. Those expressions are all just dressed up in a suit and tie with white-collar words.

Given the chance to do it all over again, I'd have dressed my ironic sarcasm in a suit and a tie. I would have said the same thing and maybe I would not have lost a friend. It's all about knowing the “dress code” and your audience.

Therefore, I promise when I post on your page, I'll try to “wear the proper attire.” If I get it wrong, accept my apology and please, just delete my post, tell me about it, and give me a second chance. I learn very quickly and I'll show up the next time properly dressed – whether in a Michael Phelp's Speedo, working clothes, or a James Bond tuxedo.

Loren M. Lambert © January 10, 2013

No comments: