Thursday, March 6, 2014

Another Staunch Conservative Saved by Obamacare

My very conservative gym friend, a retired military Colonel, said his daughter gave birth to a child with serious health care issues that will cost thousand and thousands of dollars (the child will need brain surgery). Several months before the birth, her husband had lost his job and the company went bankrupt so the family lost their healthcare and cobra benefits due to the expense.

The daughter of my friend applied for medicaid and was approved. Husband found new employment--this terminates their eligibility for medicaid. The good news is, as my friend explained saying, "thank goodness" is that when the medicaid eligibility runs out, it happens just as the new employment's health care kicks in.

And why will it kick in just as the medicaid coverage ends and why will it cover the pre-existing condition of the child? It's because Obama care establishes that the family is considered as having continuous coverage and therefore the employers insurance cannot deny coverage for preexisting conditions. Hooray--another conservative benefits from the changes we help them get and they rail against!!

Comment 1: Loren M. Lambert - I do think that some of the ire against Pres. Obama is based on his race. I have personally met and spoke to people with that bias. Three of them are in my extended family. On the other hand, probably his race garnered some votes also. Perhaps it was a wash, but some of the outlandish claims against him I believe lay on a foundation of racism and there is nothing wrong with saying so. Personally, I support him about 80% of the time. I do not like his continued grip on Bush era security measures that I think are heavy handed against our civil liberties.

Comment 2: Loren M. Lambert - I don't think Linda is accusing you or all people that disagree with Pres. Obama as being racists. I think she believes, as I do, that there is an element of racism, conscious and unconscious, against black Americans such as Pres. Obama that influences some people in their decisions. And yes, I think some people would not vote for Condaleeza Rice because she is black--I think that is wrong, as does Linda. It is not "wrong" to discuss this or even believe that racism is a problem. But I would agree with you, that it is wrong to paint all Americans as racist. But it is equally wrong, unproductive, and naive to pretend that racism has been abolished and no longer is an element in our society. Pretending something as malevolent as racism doesn't exist when it does is just as wrong for as blowing it out of proportion. It is a legitimate topic of discussion, just as much as it was a legitimate topic of discussion that some individuals were holding Mr. Romney's religious background against him. But even on that point there is greater legitimacy to asserting the opinion that one's religion influences one's behavior. As the person who controls my own Facebook page, I invite you and Linda to discuss any topic you desire, I just ask us all to try to be as civil as possible and I know I sometimes fall short of being civil. but thank you for your input Annie you are obviously a very thoughtful and passionate person and I admire that in you.

Loren M. Lambert © January 9, 2013

No comments: