Thursday, March 6, 2014

The Heave Ho

Got booted of a facebook friend island by a very talented, beautiful, gorgeous and vocal acquaintance. I admittedly offended her sensibilities by using damn, hell and condom all in the same sentence to make an ironic, sarcastic remark about liberals. I thought someone like her would think what I wrote to others like Ann Coulter to say. Probably not the first time it's happened to me, getting booted, but it was the first time I was told about it. I feel bad because, truth be told, I like hearing divergent views and, I don't like offending others, usually, at least not when I didn't intend to and even then I mostly regret it.

I knew it was over the top for that particular person, almost resisted, but then I elevated my need to rant over what I knew was in good taste for her. I figured my crudity as befitting her offensiveness--to me. I forget that the reality is most people post stuff to be confirmed in their positions not confronted. So what did I accomplish. Nothing.

Yet, and you knew there would be a yet, while some people would never use nary a damn nor a hell, they don't realize that these are just short cuts to the exact same things they say that are just as jarring and rude-it's all just dressed up in a suit and tie with white-collar words.

So given the chance to do it all over again, I'd have dressed my ironic sarcasm in a suit and a tie, I would have said the same thing and maybe I would not have lost a friend. It's all about knowing the dress code and your audience.

I therefore promise when I come on your page I'll try to wear the proper attire and if I get it wrong, accept my apology and please just delete my post, tell me about it, and give me a second chance. I am a very quick study and I'll show up the next time properly dressed--whether in a Michael Phelp's speedo, working clothes or a Bond tuxedo.

Loren M. Lambert © January 10, 2013

No comments: