Thursday, August 23, 2018

Always

          This morning, as I awoke in a dream, I was singing Switchfoot’s “Always” to a loved one. It’s funny how something as immaterial as a dream can provide such peace. And that's how I started my day.

          The song is sung from a parent or guardian being’s perspective of always being there for his/her loved ones or charges.

          As my work day ended, I met with a gentleman who has worked hard all his life. Over the past two years, he has been fighting brain cancer and has had two strokes/seizures at work. He’s undergone surgery and chemotherapy.

          Although his doctors cleared him to work, his employer terminated him as a liability. His treatments and disease have also slowed him down to the point he can't find work. In preparing him for his evaluation, with tears nearly clouding his eyes, he explained how he wants to go back to work and expressed his love for his children who have been caring for him. There was no bitterness, nor fear in his words or eyes, just an overwhelming desire to be useful and not a burden to his loved ones.

          At that point it struck me that I really do love my job. I love being of service to those who have done their best and expended all their energy until they don't have any left. Sometimes, just showing up and working steadily through the years is the most courageous and admirable thing you could do, to be “Always” there, until life no longer allows it.

           I really do love my clients and am privileged to serve them. To this client, and all the others  – may I always be there for you.

This is the start
This is your heart
This is the day you were born.
This is the sun
These are your lungs
This is the day you were born.
And I am always yours.
These are the scars
Deep in your heart
This is the place you were born.
This is the hole
Where most of your soul
Comes ripping out
From the places you've been torn.
And it is always yours
But I am always yours.

~Switchfoot

Loren M. Lambert, © 2017

No comments: