Wednesday, August 22, 2018

Stopping Crime – Not So Easy

          Last night, I had to run back to my work around 11 pm, and I passed what appeared to be a man on a ten-speed bike, rifling through a few mailboxes.

          Throughout my life, I have determined not to be passive, hoping someone else will take care of a problem. So, I turned around, called 911, and followed in my car at a safe distance.

          The man saw me. He tried to evade me by going into a condominium complex, but I pursued him, while still talking with the dispatcher. Finally, I confronted the man and had a brief interchange with him. I stayed in my car, ready to react and leave if things got out of hand. I asked him to wait until the police arrived. Of course, he did not. He quickly headed away.

          It took a long time for the police to arrive.

          Such experience often leaves me wondering if I should even bother.

Loren M. Lambert © April 12, 2017

No comments: