Thursday, August 23, 2018

Throw Off the Shackles Of Suits

          I first tried Jos. A. Banks Men’s Suits & Clothing, and then Dillards. I asked the sales staff if they sold a jacket that was washable, could pass as a stylish suit/sports coat, and was also useful in that it fit like a coat, so that it could be practical and keep me warm when needed. I explained that I was tired of traveling and having to take a suit coat for looks and a jacket for the cold (fall and spring conditions). There had to be something that combined the qualities of both. They looked at me as if I was crazy (which of course I am, but not because of my question) and in a huff, they said “no.” I tried many, many other stores, but to no avail.

          You see, I had thrown off the shackles of wearing uncomfortable, impractical dress slacks a few years ago and have been, instead, wearing comfortable, practical, washable denim pants that look great and don’t detract from my professionalism.

          This is because so many great and versatile textiles exist these days. They are used to make pants, shoes, shirts, and sweaters, but, unfortunately, not any sports or suit coats. Instead, we still have to buy these ridiculously impractical, uncomfortable suit coats that we have to dry clean, and that are ruined with the slightest exertion. We need to rebel. We need to do what I did today. If enough people create a market, we would find “suit coats” that look good in court and can be washed at home and are wrinkle-free.

          “But wait!” you say, “Girls really dig a nice suit that looks expensive! Furthermore, I really like my dry cleaner.” 

          There is no reason our ingenious clothiers can’t come up with a really nice suit coat that looks expensive (or is), is comfortable, practical, keeps you warm, looks professional, and best of all, is washable!  I really like my dry cleaner too, but what if instead of spending money on dry cleaners, that same dry-cleaner can now be our masseuse, or create topiary creations in our front yard or on top of our heads?

          My search for the perfect jacket finally paid off! I found something that is going to work!

Where did I find a jacket that could keep me warm when I needed, was suitable to wear to a hearing or into court, was comfortable and practical in that it would not fall apart when it traveled with me, and was, best of all, washable? Macy’s!

          Please rebel! Go to the South Town Center Macy’s and ask them the same thing I did. If enough people do it, you will not only have better choices, you will help me convince the world that suits, as we know them, need to join the junk heap of history.  (No, I don’t get any kickbacks from Macy’s, but the fact that they had three jackets that fit my criteria should be rewarded.)

          Now, I can move on to find a tie that is also washable and serves some utilitarian purpose – like allowing me to instantly speak Klingon.

Loren M. Lambert © September 6, 2017

No comments: