Thursday, August 23, 2018

Fresh Flowers – A Detail That Reveals the Detail

I flew into Baltimore, yesterday, and had the opportunity to enjoy a very nice chat with my friend, Mark Gammell, on my Delta flight. I was pleasantly surprised to have the privilege of having him work our flight. The two of us mix it up a bit on Facebook, but not in person. Funny how that is. Fact is, it is a rare talent to know how to discuss differences and to do so with honor. He got me a few snacks and a banana to go (which I very much appreciated, since I had to spend a lot of time meeting up with my client, later that evening, and didn't get any dinner).

Exiting the airport, I found the men's restroom to be decorated with fresh flowers; and the details didn't stop there. It was an orderly airport, with a great light rail. I knew it was a good omen of things to come.

And they did. After staying overnight in an inexpensive hotel that offered excellent service and a clean, comfortable room (in a historic building), I was able to present my case to a very cordial, genuine, and sincere Administrative Law Judge, who treated my client (who was subjected to horrible child abuse) with great dignity. You’d think that would be easy for a judge to do, but it doesn’t happen a lot.

It should be just as easy to try to keep our conversations civil on Facebook. And, it should be easy to pay attention to detail at our airports, and to fund modern infrastructure, as well. Unfortunately, it seems to be not the case. 

Thanks for setting the example, Baltimore. I'll look for the fresh flowers in the men's airport restrooms elsewhere, but I think I may never see it again.  I'll just have to remember to post a few on Facebook. Watch for them.

Loren M. Lambert © October 26, 2017

No comments: